- I turned 38 last week, thus starting my 39th chapter of life. But my header picture is on my dead computer and I cannot alter it. So, let's pretent I didn't turn another year older after all. That game sounds like so.much.fun.
- This was my SECOND birthday in Africa. Two years ago I was in Sierra Leone!
- My African hair dryer is a taxi ride. I like window seats.
- On Sunday I wore make-up for the first time in over 2 months.
- I now LIKE daylight savings time. I never did in the States but now I am only 5 hours ahead of my family and friends instead of 6.
- Newcomer lesson #290744: Do not drink coffee in the morning before going somewhere. There are no public restrooms. I repeat. NO public restrooms. I am forced to hold it or use the great outdoors like everyone else. Not a problem except for the fact that I have no idea where the secret bathroom spots are. One day out of desperation I stopped at the US Embassy to use the bathroom. Seriously.
- Even in Africa some things don't change. This past weekend we visited a friend's church. As we sat down one of my kids whispered to me and I realized they hadn't brushed their teeth. I took a poll down the row and found 1 out of 4 who actually brushed. Feels like America.
- Jake-ism - "Mom is really generous. I think that's why God created Dad to offset her." :) Eric was standing beside me at the sink when Jake said it. He laughed.
- I wore a skirt today to lunch with my bible study friends. We were celebrating March birthdays. What I forgot is that we pile into a boxy Land Cruiser with bench seats in the back. I opened the back doors and proceeded to flash everyone in the street trying to get out. Nice.
- The kids are working on a promotional video entitled: Please visit us in Africa. It is quite humorous. You won't want to miss this...if we can find the bandwith to upload it.
- J. Tobias Buller (aka Jake) has been preparing since November to publish his first e-book as a fundraiser. Watch for it to come out soon!
- I have some cool pictures to blog.
- One of my new friends said today, "Ha. You're snorting." Um, yeah. I do that. Can't help it.
- It is really hot. I think this is the hottest time of the year. The sun is sultry. We have to be very intentional about drinking plenty of water. Eric fought a UTI or something last week. It could've been caused by a kidney stone, which was probably from dehydration. Stink.
- I just watched the evening entertainment of African boys acrobatics. Hilarious.
- I love African children. The end.
Monday, March 12, 2012
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Our security guards are digging a well for us! Actually, we hired out the job to a guy in our neighborhood who ended up being crooked and using junky materials. So our security guards came to the rescue and dug a real well.
Wait! A neighborhood boy needs a haircut. Aloysius (pronounced A-lush-us) takes care of it.
This neighborhood boy's name is Sence. (Sense-A) He was sick for a couple of weeks and came daily for us to love on him and nurse him back to health. When he was well I asked him why he wasn't back in school. He said he needed a haircut to go back to school. (Now I'm fully aware of the fact that this was probably not full truth...) But I am all for taking away any barrier my neighborhood kids have in going to school. I don't believe in just giving out money. I do believe in helping with our hands and feet...or should I say Aloysius's. :)
That's a razor blade and comb they use. I was so glad Aloysius's hand didn't slip.
Back to crawling down homemade ladders to dig.